Frequently Asked Questions
The Koehn Mortgage Group’s Frequently Asked Questions will get you answers to questions surrounding our loan programs, VA, FHA and Mortgage loans in Texas. If your question is not in our Frequently Asked Questions, feel free to contact us.
WHAT DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED TO GET A MORTGAGE?
Once you start the process of pre-qualifying for a loan, you may be asked to start providing some documentation. At AmCap Home Loans, we may ask you for*:
- Copy of drivers licenses, social security, or work visa
- 2 years most recent 1040s & W-2s
- Copy of pay stubs covering 1 month most recent
- Verification of disability and/or retirement income
- Verification of social security
- 2 months of bank statements (most current)
- Copy of Earnest Money Check
However, depending on your unique situation and what kind of loan you are applying for, there may be other documents involved. The good news is, you have a loan officer who can help you every step of the way.
*Items may be voluntarily supplied prior to full application, but NOT REQUIRED by lender per RESPA Compliance.
WHICH TYPE OF MORTGAGE SHOULD I APPLY FOR?
We all have unique situations and come from all walks of life. The mortgage industry knows that, which is why there are a wide variety of mortgage types so that we can help people find a way to buy a home. One of the first things you’ll want to do is figure out your budget and how much you can afford. You can start by using our mortgage calculators.
Once you know what your budget is going to look like, you will need to start looking at securing a loan. Always make sure you look at multiple options before you apply for a loan, as some mortgages may work better for your specific needs. Things to consider when applying for a mortgage:
- How much will you personally be adding to the down payment?
- What is the maximum monthly payment you can comfortably make?
- Would you like a fixed or variable mortgage payment?
- Are interest rates going up or down in your chosen area?
Luckily for you, the team at AmCap Home Loans can help talk you through your options and help you to answer any of the above questions so you won’t feel overwhelmed during this exciting time.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRE-APPROVED AND PRE-QUALIFIED?
When you pre-qualify for a loan, you have sent your lender the nitty gritty information they need to figure out what kind of loan program you should use. Once you are pre-approved, all your ducks are in row and your information is ready for underwriting and approval.
WHAT WILL MY RATE BE?
Your rate depends on many aspects of your life—why you want a loan, your credit score and history, your ability to repay, etc. Your loan officer can help you figure out how to get the best rate.
WHAT IS PMI?
Private Mortgage Insurance is designed to help protect lenders in the case that a borrower defaults. If your loan is for more than 80% of the total sales price, you will have to pay PMI, in most cases. This cost will be added to your monthly mortgage payment.
HOW SHOULD I MAINTAIN MY CREDIT WHEN I’M IN THE PRE-QUALIFYING AND/OR HOMEBUYING PROCESS? PLEASE, DON’T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS:
- Apply for a new credit card or auto loan.
- Change jobs.
- Skip payments on existing credit accounts.
- Start purchasing expensive items (like new furniture).